P.O. Box 1, Winchester, Kentucky 40392 info@honorflightky.org 888.432.2965


Vietnam veteran looks forward to flight

Photo by Tim Webb

George Atwood says he doesn’t think about Vietnam much anymore. After all, it’s been 50 years since the veteran was stationed on the Mekong River near the Cambodian border.

But when he does recall those days, he remembers the smell of the river, the heat, the rain — and the near-constant work. The Versailles resident was a diesel mechanic assigned to the Navy’s River Patrol Division 86. He repaired the engines of patrol boats sent out to prevent Viet Cong troop and supply movements.

The 70-year-old also remembers returning to the states and being ridiculed and degraded by anti-war protesters at the airport. It was not the reception George imagined when he enlisted at age 20. Memories of that homecoming still sting.

These days, George is looking forward instead of back. He’ll soon join 72 other Kentucky veterans on the upcoming Honor Flight, which could provide a do-over of sorts.

“I’m hoping we have a better homecoming this time around,” he said, referring to the celebration that traditionally concludes the daylong trip to Washington D.C.

Both the departure and the arrival will be sweeter because George will be with his brother, Jerry, an Army veteran. Serving their country was a family affair for the Atwoods. George was the youngest of seven boys, six of whom wore armed forces uniforms.

“Three of my brothers were in the Army, one was in the Air Force and one in the Marines,” he said. Three of the Atwood brothers served in Vietnam.

Two years ago George and Jerry applied for Honor Flight so they could join other Kentucky veterans to view memorials erected in their honor.

“Meeting other veterans is what I’m most looking forward to,” the retired law enforcement officer said. “Doing it with my brother makes it even better.”

WWII veteran reflects on his service time

Though his namesake red hair long ago gave way to a snowy white, Charles “Rusty” Hembree’s memories are crystal-clear. The Lexington resident, who is still practicing law at age 94, takes a moment away from work to reminisce about a boyhood in eastern Tennessee and his wartime service — and a surprising connection between the two.

Rusty was reared by his widowed mother on her family’s farm in the picturesque Tennessee Valley. Despite growing up during the Great Depression, Rusty remembers a happy childhood.

But life for the Hembrees took a drastic turn in 1942. Their land was acquired by the federal government, and they were forced to move to the city.

A year later, Rusty reported for Army boot camp just after his high school graduation.

“There was a war going on, and I wanted to be a part of it,” he said.

He was assigned to the Army’s Air Corps and trained as a bombardier, the person responsible for releasing bombs from Boeing B-29 Superfortress planes.

Rusty was sent to Tinian, a part of the Marianas island chain the Americans seized specifically for staging bomber attacks on Japan. Here, his childhood and military service collided.

“We had no idea,” the veteran said about the first atomic bomb dropped by a B-29 bomber flown out of Tinian. “We were told after the first bomb dropped, but knew nothing before.”

Later, Rusty and some buddies drove to the site where the bomb had been hidden on the island. While others marveled at the site’s massive size, Rusty’s thoughts were elsewhere.

“I was amazed to think I had grown up right where that bomb had been built,” he said. The farm his family had been forced to vacate became the home of the Manhattan Project, the Oak Ridge, Tennessee, facility where the first nuclear bombs were produced.

One of “the greatest generation”

Article and photo by Joy Bullock, South Kentucky RECC

He is one of those Americans known as “The Greatest Generation,” and at 98-years-old, Floyd Dick, of Monticello, served as a representative for South Kentucky RECC on September’s Honor Flight to Washington, D.C.

Mr. Dick was born in 1921, raised in Wayne County and proudly served in the United States Army during World War II for about three and a half years after getting drafted at the age of 21. He served as a quartermaster, which means he was responsible for providing supplies to his post, for missions and, sometimes, for the front line.

Mr. Dick says he spent most of his service in the South Pacific, particularly in the Philippines. He recalls that he was getting ready to be deployed to Japan when President Truman made the decision to drop the atomic bomb, which essentially ended World War II. So, instead of going to Japan, Mr. Dick made the trip back to the United States.

While he smiles when he talks about arriving in Tacoma, Washington to a victory celebration and feast, there are some memories of the war that make Mr. Dick take pause, and at times, tear up.

“Where we were the people were poor, very poor,” Mr. Dick said. “Some of our troops would give their food rations to the children of the area. They would toss them out, and the children would all pile in trying to get them.”

Another troubling memory for Mr. Dick was of a mortally wounded American soldier that the troops hadn’t been able to recover yet. It’s a picture he can’t get out of his mind – something he says he will never forget.

Mr. Dick says he made some life-long friends while serving. He and his sergeant, Bill Saum, of Nebraska, corresponded regularly until Mr. Saum passed away from cancer.

Following the war, Mr. Dick attended Nashville Diesel College and then spent 35 years as a mechanic in Wayne County. In 1947, he married the young lady he was “courting” when he left for war, and he and Mildred had two children – Kathy Vickery and Gary Dick, who went on the Honor Flight with him, as well as five grandchildren and 11 great-grandchildren.

Honoring an outstanding veteran

As the youngest and only girl of four, Julia (Cantrell) Martin was accustomed to standing her ground against boys. And that’s exactly what she did in 1952 when she announced her decision to follow her brothers into the armed services.

“They didn’t like the idea,” the Lexington native recalled about the reaction of her siblings who served in World War II and the Korean War. “They just didn’t think it was a good thing for women to go into the military.”

But Julia was determined. The education assistance benefit earned by service members could be her ticket to college, she thought.

Female enlistment in the Air Force had begun only four years before Julia joined.

There were only about 22,000 women in the armed services then.

Of the 52 women in her squadron during basic training, she was one of only two African-Americans. Being a minority didn’t deter Julia, however. Her exceptional leadership as a trainee earned her the American Spirit Honor Medal — the first of many recognitions she has received.

Julia became a technical manual librarian at Eglin Air Force Base where aircraft was tested. “Every part of every plane tested had its own manual, and I was in charge of keeping them filed and in order,” she said about the tedious, yet important, job.

Her dedication to important work didn’t stop when Julia left the service in 1954. After attending college, she spent 25 years working at the Lexington-Blue Grass Army Depot. She also volunteered for many community organizations such as Habitat for Humanity, Operation Read, Read to Succeed and Big Sisters. She remains an active member of the local chapter of the National Association for Black Veterans, an organization that helps African-Americans gain access to military benefits and services.

The veteran’s contributions have not gone unnoticed. Earlier this year, Julia was inducted into the Kentucky Veterans Hall of Fame. She was named the Kentucky Female Veteran of the Year in 2015.

Paying our respects to Kentucky’s heroes

One of the oldest veterans in Kentucky, Henry C. Ledford, a 99-year-old World War II veteran from Clay County, will turn 100 the day after he returns from the Honor Flight Sept. 21. His son Kenny Ledford (right) will be his guardian during the trip.

September will be a month of firsts for 99-year-old World War II veteran Henry C. Ledford.

When he travels from Lexington to Washington D.C. on Sept. 21 during the 2019 Honor Flight, it will his first time traveling by air.

It will also be the first time he’s seen the World War II Memorial honoring him and the 16 million Americans who served. When he visits the memorial, he said he will think about friends and the 400,000 Americans who fought and died in the war to keep the world free.

“A lot of them didn’t get home,” he said, fighting back tears.

Kentucky’s Touchstone Energy Cooperatives sponsor the Honor Flight each year to thank those who served in WWII as well as the Korean and Vietnam Wars. It’s our way of showing appreciation to veterans like Mr. Ledford for what they’ve done.

One of the greatest things that his 411th Infantry Regiment did was to liberate prisoners from a concentration camp near Landsberg, Germany. “They were skin and bones and came out and grabbed us, hugged us and kissed us,” he said. “They were starved to death.”

After completing his service in the Army, Mr. Ledford worked his entire career as an electric lineman in several states. He will join about 70 other former warriors participating in the 2019 Honor Flight.

This is the ninth year Kentucky’s Touchstone Energy Cooperatives are taking veterans, free of charge, to tour the national monuments that honor them. It is the fourth flight in partnership with Honor Flight Kentucky.

We hope you will join us at 7:30 p.m., Sept. 21, at Lexington’s Blue Grass Airport to give Mr. Ledford and all the veterans an unforgettable welcome home. It’s a small way of paying our respects to these Kentucky heroes.

View photos from the flights sponsored by Kentucky’s Touchstone Energy Cooperatives 

To view photos from all of the Honor Flights sponsored by Kentucky’s Touchstone Energy Cooperatives (including the Sept. 21, 2018 flight), visit https://www.timwebbphotography.com/honor.

Kentucky’s Touchstone Energy Cooperatives sponsor veterans for Honor Flight

Sixty-nine Kentucky war veterans are traveling from Lexington to Washington, D.C., on Saturday, Sept. 22, as part of this year’s Honor Flight. Veterans from World War II, the Korean War and the Vietnam War are set to participate in a one-day tour of memorials that are dedicated to their service and sacrifices.

Kentucky’s Touchstone Energy Cooperatives are paying all the expenses to send 34 veterans and their guardians on the trip.

“It’s an honor for us to sponsor these heroes from Kentucky,” said Joe Settles of Kentucky’s Touchstone Energy Cooperatives. “This trip is a small thanks for their big sacrifices. We owe them so much for the freedoms we enjoy.”

This is the eighth year Kentucky’s Touchstone Energy Cooperatives have sponsored Honor Flight. The 2018 contingent includes 97-year old Henry Howard Smith of Flemingsburg and 96-year-old Frank Zupan of Frenchburg. They are among the oldest WWII veterans living in Kentucky.

Around 6,400 WWII veterans, most in their late 80s and 90s, call Kentucky home. The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs estimates that 362 WWII vets die each day, which makes every Honor Flight a race against time.

“We want our veterans to have the opportunity to see the memorials erected in their honor, while they still can,” said Jeff Hohman, a member of the Honor Flight Kentucky board of directors. Honor Flight Kentucky is actively recruiting eastern Kentucky veterans, especially those with birthdays in the 1920s, to make future trips.

Among those participating in this year’s Honor Flight:

  • Frank Zupan, an Army machine gunner who earned the Silver Star, Bronze Star and Purple Heart medals for acts of heroism while fighting in the Pacific Theater during WWII.
  • Vietnam combat medic Jerry Workman, of Lexington, who cared for wounded soldiers during high-casualty events such as 1968’s Tet Offensive and the Battle of Hamburger Hill in 1969.
  • National Guard veteran Roy Bowling, who is best known for his record-setting winning streak as the girls’ basketball coach at Laurel County High School.
  • Nicholasville’s Joyce Reeves, a Korean War veteran who is the lone female veteran in this group.
  • John Garry Garcia of Lexington, a veteran of three wars —WWII, the Korean War and the Vietnam War.

The veterans will fly from Lexington’s Blue Grass Airport to Reagan National Airport in Washington, D.C., where they will board buses for a full day of honors and sightseeing.

Activities include viewing the changing of the guard ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Arlington National Cemetery. Honor Flight representatives will participate in a wreath-laying service at the tomb.

Capping off the day is a homecoming celebration to further honor the veterans. It is a highlight of the day, say some former Honor Flight participants.

“They treated us like kings,” said Albert Antle, of Jamestown, a WWII veteran who experienced no fanfare when he returned home from that war.

“That place just roared,” Korean War veteran Alfred Ahrens, of Paris, recalled about the enthusiastic greeting Honor Flight participants received. “It was the best welcome home I ever had.”

Kentucky’s Touchstone Energy Cooperatives are inviting families, friends and supporters to gather at Blue Grass Airport by 8 p.m. on Sept. 22 to greet the veterans when their flight arrives from Washington. There will be additional parking available at the airport to accommodate the crowd.

“Come help us make this one of the best days ever for these American heroes,” urged Settles, who will be taking the Honor Flight trip as a guardian for one of the participating veterans.

Kentucky sports icon is among this year’s Honor Flight participants

Roy Bowling isn’t certain who nominated him to participate in this year’s Honor Flight, but he’s certainly glad they did.

“I’m thrilled to death to get to go,” said the 82-year-old Jackson Energy Cooperative member who lives in London. Jackson Energy, along with Kentucky’s Touchstone Energy Cooperatives, is sponsoring the day-long trip that will take veterans to Washington, D.C., on Sept. 22.

Bowling joined the Kentucky National Guard’s 1st Battalion, 149th Infantry, just after he graduated from college in 1958. The Guard’s weekend and summer training schedule allowed him to serve his country while also pursuing a career in coaching high school sports. Bowling credits the discipline learned through military training with helping him succeed in his civilian job.

Succeed, however, might be an understatement. In the world of Kentucky basketball, the name Bowling is revered.

The former guardsman is also the man many regard as the most influential coach in the history of Kentucky girls’ high school basketball. He made a name for himself while coaching the first girls’ basketball team at Laurel County High School, after the sport was sanctioned by the Kentucky High School Sports Association in 1974.

The coach drew on his military experience to help him quickly mold green recruits into a basketball dynasty. In the program’s third year, 1977, the Lady Cardinals captured the

first of three consecutive state championships, a record that remains unbroken in 2018.

Bowling also coached the Laurel County team to another state record that still stands. Between 1978 and 1980, the Lady Cardinals had a 73-game winning streak.

When Bowling retired in 1989, he departed with a 15-year record of 403-61 and four state championships at Laurel County.

Though he has a storehouse of fond basketball memories, the basketball icon will be thinking of other things when he travels to the nation’s capitol alongside World War II, Korean and Vietnam veterans. Together, they will view memorials erected in their honor.

He looks forward to seeing the Marine Corps War Memorial. There, he’ll think of his late brother, Troy, a Marine who was in the first wave that landed on the tiny Japanese island called Iwo Jima.

“He was shot bad on the second day, and they had given him up for dead,” Bowling said. Troy lay on the beach for hours, bleeding from a chest wound, before he attracted the attention of a combat photographer who called for help. He was taken to a hospital ship anchored offshore. From there, a recovering Troy watched as the U.S. flag was raised on Mt. Suribachi, the scene that would inspire the Marine memorial.

Troy also made a name for himself — by volunteering more than 77,000 hours at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Lexington. On Aug. 9, the entire Bowling family will be on hand for a ceremony during which the hospital will be officially renamed in Troy Bowling’s honor.

So, if the Bowling name sounds familiar, there’s good reason. In fact, there are a couple of good reasons.

 97-year-old Vet Frank Zupan can’t wait for September Honor Flight

“Being at the front never did scare me,” 97-year-old Frank Zupan says matter-of-factly about his time as a World War II machine gunner.

Frank, one of the oldest WWII vets in Kentucky, volunteered for the Army as the U.S. war machine revved up in 1942. He was trained to fire a M1919 Browning machine gun. It was quite a leap for a young man who never handled guns while growing up in Michigan’s Hazel Park, a Detroit suburb where most household incomes were dependent on the giant Ford plant in neighboring Highland Park.

Four days shy of his 21st birthday, Frank made his first beachhead landing with the Army’s 7th Infantry Division in April 1943. He stepped ashore in the midst of the Battle of the Aleutian Islands as U.S. troops fought to reclaim U.S.-owned islands west of Alaska. It was the first of the island-hopping battles he’d engage in as the war raged across the Pacific Ocean.

That first battle was almost his last. “At one point, I had this feeling that there was somebody behind me,” Frank recalled. A split-second later his intuition was confirmed as an infantryman’s shot took down the enemy fighter poised to kill Frank.

For his heroism, Frank was awarded the Silver Star and Bronze Star. He also received a Purple Heart after being injured in battle.

The veteran clearly remembers the incident that earned him the Silver Star, the U.S. Armed Force’s third-highest personal decoration for valor in combat. It happened at Leyte, Philippines Islands, when the rifle company he was supporting became pinned down

“My captain came and asked me if I could fire that thing [machine gun] from my hip,” he said about the heavy weapon normally mounted on a tripod. After crawling on his belly for 100 yards to get closer to enemy lines, Frank stood and shot nearly 1,000 rounds with enemy rifle and machine gun fire whizzing around him. The strategy worked; the enemy group was “destroyed,” his medal commendation noted.

It is this memory and others that Frank is likely to recall on Sept. 22 when he gets his first glimpse of the World War II Memorial in Washington, D.C. He is participating in this year’s Honor Flight sponsored by Kentucky’s Touchstone Energy Cooperatives. During the one-day tour, he will join other Kentucky war veterans in touring memorials erected in their honor

This will be Frank’s second visit to Washington. He was there in 1995 — before the World War II memorial opened – when his son, also named Frank, was honored as the 1995 Sailor of the Year.

“I’m honored to get to return with my dad,” said Frank’s son, who is his father’s guardian for the trip. “Just to get to go with my dad will be an incredible experience.”